Sunday, April 20, 2014

Week 3 - Way to be!


 
1.    Reflect on the topics discussed by the guest speaker. What was most interesting to you and why? Be sure to provide links to additional resources and sources of information about the topic.
While many of the things that Dr. Monaghan spoke of were interesting, I think that the most personally interesting topic was when he spoke about the meta-analysis done by the US Department of Education concerning which of the following three provides the best education: face to face instruction, online learning, or the hybrid classroom. Dr. Monaghan said that the very short summary was that online learning and face-to-face instruction were found to be comparable, while the hybrid classroom seemingly had the best results as it was able to combine the best elements of both teaching styles.
Looking at the meta-analysis itself, I found that while they completed (as expected for a meta-analysis) an exhaustive search of the available literature, very FEW experimental or quasi-experimental research studies had actually been completed and of those ninety-nine that were used, only nine involved K-12 learners. (At least the Beatles would be happy…)
I found this to be intriguing because we are, at my site, encouraged on a monthly basis to consider in what fashion we might be able to bring technology into our classroom. I’ve seen teachers using (or attempting to use) Edmodo, Schoology, or Class Dojo. I’ve seen students creating videos for French, Social Science or Mathematics. I’ve seen teachers attempt flipped classrooms (attempted it myself, even) and work to have students construct and maintain their own blogs in English and Digital photography. And school wide, we’ve worked (or been asked to work) toward students maintaining constant, needful use of their gaggle accounts so that we may have better access to them, via email, and so that they might learn to use a common interface and gain from that experience over time.
And while it is lovely that we are being encouraged, and that we are trying new things, I always wonder, should we be using common tools in a more designed and particular manner? Would that be better, in that students affective filters will be lowered as they have comfort with the tools, or would it be worse, as students consumption and abandonment of interesting technology tools is legendary. (When was the last time I saw a student play Temple Run or Flappy Birds? These games both had their heyday, but have since all but disappeared…) And, it seems, that the answer is yet to be determined for K-12, at the very least, because I’m just not convinced by the evidence found in nine K-12 studies.
What do you all think? What experience do you have at your school sites? I’d love to hear from you!
2.    What is a "standard' or "typical" online course at CSUSB according to the guest speaker?
According to Dr. Monaghan, a standard or typical online course at CSUSB is delivered through a course management system (either Blackboard or Moodle). This course is typically constructed following a modular model, usually consisting of 10 modules as that follows the 10-week quarter system of CSUSB.
Each of these modules has several components to help deliver the content; these components most typically consist of a powerpoint with audio or perhaps a video which tends to be around 5 minutes or less. In addition to these inputs, students are generally expected to conduct some sort of independent research (See above in regards to finding more information on flipped classrooms, webinars, etc. and their use in the K-12 educational setting) and then some sort of structured discussion with peers (visited any blogs lately? ;-D).
Finally, most courses employ multiple assessment methods to both guard for academic integrity and give feedback to students. (Discussion boards again here, solo or group projects, low stakes quizzes and very occasionally, high stakes tests.)
3.    What tools does CSUSB provide to support online learning?
CSUSB’s office of distributed learning will assign an instructional designer to instructors working to build their online course. This instructional designer works with the, usually, new instructor to a) help them understand that they cannot just film their lectures and put their tests online and then call it good and b) help instructors identify what their goals and objectives are, how they work these in a traditional face-to-face course, look at available materials and then help them make their course the best it can be. (ADDIE anyone?)
Additionally, at their Academic Technologies & Innovation site, they maintain blackboard support, online tutorials, designer tips, how-to’s and general resources to both faculty and staff to help them in all things eLearning.
4.    Describe the Talkshoe experience and discuss how it can be used to support online learning.

The Talkshoe experience has been nice whenever I have worked with it. While I’ve never made it to a live call, tracking down the podcasts that I have needed has never been difficult (thanks Dr. Newberry!) and, likely due to Dr. Newberry’s organization, I’ve even been able to explore his previous talkshoe recordings when fancy strikes.
Talkshoe is nice in that it allows students that are spread far and wide to come together in a synchronous (if their schedule allows for it) setting and be able to speak with their professor, classmates, and as setup, guest speakers from the location where they usually complete their asynchronous work. This even extends to those users driving or away from their typical class interface as they can call in from anywhere so long as they have a phone, and can log in from anywhere so long as they have access to a computer/tablet with the Internet.
Like discussion boards, it still allows for multiple users to interface as questions can be either typed or called in directly to the professor/speaker/moderator.
I particularly like the recorded, saved and posted aspect, because I can take it with me anywhere and listen to it AND I can listen to it as often as I have need to make sure that I understand.
My only question is, what support is there for auditory learners? I had a discussion with a colleague about how much I’ve been enjoying these online courses and she shared that she hates online courses. She said that she’s an auditory learner and that she likes to be able to get answers to her questions on the spot. I am a visual learner, so it’s no surprise to me that I’ve liked being able to see everything so much. How do you all feel?
Till we meet again!
Michelle


12 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    What an interesting blog. I also caught the statements about online vs f2f vs hybrid. I teach in a hybrid program so I might be a bit biased. In building our program, we did research to find the best combination. From everything we could find, the data seems to lean toward hybrid classes over the other two. I think some of the conclusions are intuitive and who knows if they would bear out in hard research. You are right that there is very little in the way of evidence one way or another for K-12, Most of the conclusions are extrapolated from higher education and who knows if that is valid for the younger set. Here are my anecdotal comments: Our online program allows students to progress at a faster pace than in the classroom and it is rigorous. Instruction is presented in multiple modalities on the computer- video, audio, textbook, hands on projects, animation, etc. There is a lot of support from online/live tutoring, Khan Academy and other resources, and open access to my partner and myself. There is drop-in help, mandatory f2f attendance weekly and unlimited optional attendance. Anyway, my point is in a nutshell that the program is rigorous and has much more individual and family support than most regular classrooms. That being said, students who benefit have adequate parent support, fairly average skills, structure, and internet access with a reliable computer. To me, it all comes down to offering instruction in a way that each child can benefit. That varies depending on the child and circumstances. That's my 50 cents with inflation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,

      Anecdotal evidence it may be, but I still really appreciate you sharing so much about your program with me because before that I had nothing but my own traditional comprehensive high school experience. The components and benefits thereof that you mention are exactly the reasons that I chose to pursue this coursework; I see the benefits to my students (assuming I can thoughtfully design instruction) as big potentials. I wonder if there is a set of students similar to your somewhere to which you could compare them. Having positive things going for them (parent support, etc.) shouldn't be held against them, but it wouldn't be fair to compare them to a set of students with less...

      I suppose I'll have to structure a mini experiment within my own classrooms (hopefully I'll have four sections of Geometry again next year...) to assign students separately and see how they behave. While that experiment/quasi-experiment may not have wide ranging applicability, it'll matter for the population that matters most to me and, in the end, that's who we are trying to reach.

      Cheers,

      Michelle

      Delete
  2. Michelle, I had to come back and comment on your musings about technology in the classroom. It seems that the push is to use technology somehow/someway in the classroom with very little planning. The technology becomes an end in itself rather than a learning tool. I do believe elearning, technology tools, etc. can go along way to support learning, but the implementation must be purposeful. After all, we don't tell kids to pick up a pencil and use it for random purposes, do we? Learning tools baby...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,

      You've hit the nail on the head. While I appreciate the ability to see what's out there and try it out for myself, I don't want to use something just to say that I'm using technology in my classroom. If it's not materially and meaningfully contributing to the learning of my students, it's just a distraction.

      Nice one!

      Michelle

      Delete
  3. Hi Michelle,

    I once had a discussion about schools here and the level at which they have so far embraced technology. I realized most of the schools are in for hybrid and the way they are doing it is just too good for the learners.
    In my country we have not yet fully rolled out technology to assist in teaching because of various reasons, majority of instructors will use PowerPoint in a F2F classroom. A few Universities are doing online courses which sometimes it is challenging because of poor IT system and the network.

    Carolyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyne,

      It's an interesting comparison between countries. From what I've seen in my own school and in discussion with other educators, I'd say that by and large, we have a good deal of technology rolled out in schools, but I don't see many people using it effectively to really reach its true potential to engage students.

      Cheers,

      Michelle

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,

      The idea that many technology tools have been tried and swept aside is unfortunate. It should never be that some people feel pressured into using technology if it doesn't make things more efficient for the majority affected in some way. You are right, when it doesn't fit and you are just doing it for the purpose of "making use", it is a distraction.
      In my previous job as a technology consultant, my research to prepare for each week consisted of finding out what the incoming students are using to collaborate with each other, how is it being used and what do they like/dislike about it, or wish it could do or didn't do that some other program did.
      Once I had discovered through this in person survey what drove their desire for technology, it would give me some idea where to look for finding out what was eventually going to become popular in the classrooms (whether the teacher knew it or not).

      Delete
    2. Somehow this site grabbed my google+ account. After 4 hours in traffic, and having been up since 5A.M., I'm in a hotel 150 miles from home on some shaky 3rd party wireless, near where I'll be training for the next week. But I'm still posting! Isn't eLearning great!

      Delete
    3. David,

      Sounds like you already have a good idea of the work and focus of an instructional designer on a scale for a very quick turnaround.

      Cheers,

      Michelle

      Delete
  5. You win the prize for actually checking the details of that meta-analysis out in depth! That is the type of scholarship I like to see!

    ReplyDelete