Saturday, May 17, 2014

Week 7 - Alternate Assignment

I'd just like to say that my putting this together makes me respect all the work that Dr. Newberry has done in creating our audio files even more than I already did and my respect for voice actors for film and television has increased exponentially. I don't know how many times I made it through most of the recording and then flubbed the ending. Ugh!

Still, I found the process to be INCREDIBLY rewarding and I look forward to the creation of more videos  (over a LENGTHY timeframe) for use in my classroom both by myself and my students. The piece that has bothered me the most since the creation of my first set of how to videos at the start of first semester (for my students) this year was the lack of subtitles. As a visual person, reading the words while hearing them has ALWAYS helped me to increase what I take away and I imagine the same is true for many others.

I had originally tried to take my old video and import it to imovie so that I could add subtitles, but that was a hot mess. I then found camtasia(the pay to play service like my good old friend jing) which was an upgrade because it allowed me to a) add subtitles on top of my screen recorded loveliness and b) allowed me to save it in formats other than swf (the only one allowed by jing). To make it even better they gave me a free 30-day trial! Yay for free!!!

I then thought to just play my old video and record it using camtasia, wham, bam, thank you ma'am done video (once subtitles were added). I even went so far as to try to use my Mac's speech to text function. This is what it gave me:


Scissors
You basically all gratin café or Wednesday which is Dilmus.com/Clear now is the sandwich in the three functions that you want okay so I’m actually look first
Function

This is what I actually said:


Ok, so the first thing you want to do is to go the online graphing calculator website which is demsos.com/calculator. OK. Now what you want to do is decide which of the 3 functions that you are going to look at.

Then I started to really watch and listen to my old video and I HATED it. All these this's and it's... Where was the specificity? Ugh.

So then I rewrote the script, made it more general. It's really hard to be informal when you're typing everything out, but it makes it better for the viewer, so... enjoy!

I'd appreciate any feedback. I may actually buy Camtasia to use in the future and would like to actually use this video for this project again next year. If you're interested in reading about the project, then please click here. I apologize in advance that some of the equation pieces (like parentheses) are missing.

Cheers,

Michelle

6 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    Great work!
    You know when I read that this part of the assignment was optional, I rejoiced.
    Am not good at developing videos, so captioning would just be horrible.
    I know it is involving but a nice learning activity which has to be perfected.
    Good to read that you will perfect the skill by developing more videos.

    I have realized that I can't comment on blogger using Google Ac.This is what am receiving, "We are sorry, but you do not have access to this service. Please contact your domain administrator for access." So I have been forced to change my profile and access as WordPress user. Have you heard of this?..

    Cheers,
    Carolyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyne,

      Laura shared that she had had the same difficulties in posting on my page. I have no idea why this might be as I have not changed any of the settings or done anything differently to adjust this. I'll have to take a look and see what is happening.

      It's funny how different people have different reactions. I rejoiced when I saw the optional assignment because it was something in which I had a much greater interest.

      Thanks for the compliment,

      Michelle

      Delete
  2. Listening to one's own voice is a tough experience. I recorded a podcast for a course last quarter and I also really hate how I sound. I kept saying, "God, do I sound like that? I am so annoying..." I'm glad you undertook this assignment though... and I am kinda glad I didn't attempt it. Another time perhaps :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm glad my work reinforced your decision, but I must say, I'm INCREDIBLY happy that I did it and would choose the alternate assignment again in a heartbeat.

      Cheers,

      Michelle

      Delete
  3. Nice job on the video! It can be a challenge! Camtasia is a great tool, I have used it for a number of projects. I'm glad you found this challenge to be engaging!

    ReplyDelete