Sunday, February 2, 2014

Do you like Green Eggs and Ham?

Hello my fellow designers!

This has certainly been an interesting week. Following some initial confusion on the assignment (confusion which I created myself... note to self, next time, listen to the talkshoe recording first, then email the team!) it became clear to me exactly what it was that we were to do this week. So, how did I contribute to my team you ask? Well, let me say that I:

        • worked with Mikko (our awesome synchronous meeting rep) to clarify the assignment to my group mates when it was unclear
        • wrote a document that broke down Dr. Newberry's expectations for the project
        • started the google document on which our team did all of our work
        • organized the roles for each group member
        • wrote a first set of questions to get the ball rolling with my team
        • looked at team members questions and added more based on their ideas
        • organized my previous questions into the 11-step process
        • organized Limin's questions into the 11-step process
        • edited the entire document to try to eliminate duplicate questions or condense questions of similar ideas into a single (or at least fewer) question(s)
        • edited the document to make sure that each of the questions was as clear as possible
        • worked with Mikko to try and make sure that all team members had the opportunity to contribute... and again... and again... I don't think everybody likes green eggs and ham.
That's about it for our work this week. I'm looking forward to the work next week as this assignment is really bringing clarity to a part of the design process that I had previously found confusing. Moreover, my team, Mikko in particular, has really contributed to this clarification.

Thoughts on Instructional Design

Dr. Newberry mentioned that in the real world of instructional design, instructional designers are able to think of the problem knowing the content and still ask generic questions. After having completed this week, I am SO glad that he did not tell us the topic. My thoughts from the first get-go were about the context and not having it really made me extend myself. I know that I am NOT ready to be an instructional designer on my own just yet.

This outside of context generic question design will be a really critical part of the overall design process and I really look forward to additional development of this throughout the course. Dr. Newberry mentioned that most instructional designers (as they have designed their own process) condense the 11-step process into 5 steps or so and I started to get a sense for that as I was editing my group set of questions. After having written questions, it was often challenging to decide exactly which category they should fall under. For example, should the question, "what is the expected performance level of students in this course?" fall under the "identify what to teach" step or the "identify prerequisites" step?

I have been happy to be a part of a group and unhappy to be part of a group for this task at various times throughout the week and have come to the conclusion that I would like to do my instructional design in a team, but that I want the team to be comprised of people that I know and trust, whose strengths account for my weaknesses and vice versa because it is challenging to put forth your best work when all members aren't giving your task their all. 

Cheers,

Michelle

8 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle!

    To use a cooking metaphor, sounds like you served as both the funnel and the sifter, and got things rolling to boot! I'm looking forward to hearing Mikko ask your questions in the synchronous meeting tomorrow!

    I think it's great that you wrote a document outlining Dr. Newberry's expectations. I think this goes back to what he mentioned in the podcast about how online instruction needs to be more explicit.

    As a math teacher, your style of instruction is already probably explicit, but as I am a non-teacher, I thought this chapter excerpt from "Teaching Written Response to Text" by Dr. N. Boyles was interesting: http://maupinhouse.com/media/upload/file/twr-ch4.pdf

    Thanks for a great post! If you read this before midnight, I might encourage you to add your thoughts about instructional design. (I could be wrong, but I think it may part of the expectation for task #5.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Matthew!

      First, thanks for the heads up on the response on our feelings regarding instructional design; I don't know how I missed that...

      Second, thanks for the positive feedback!

      Third, thanks for the great chapter excerpt. As I was reading through, this really caught my eye:

      "Effective instruction requires more than a solid command of the content. It is a function of the process of teaching, as well. That is, the same basic principles may be applied to teaching a lesson within any academic discipline."

      I completely agree with that, though I wonder how many teachers even at my own high school would agree with that. Yes, we do have our differences, but I've learned many things from the English teachers, fine arts teachers, etc. that I've been able to put into practice in my own classroom to improve my instruction and it's as a result of the fact that yes, it is not just content! Nice share!

      Cheers,

      Michelle

      Delete
  2. I actually found myself liking the ambiguity because of the result. I'm glad to have had some synchronous interaction with my classmates, which was awesome (Sam and Adreta, if you're reading this, it was nice to meet you!) But I think I can read between the lines about the Green Eggs and Ham. It was a little tough, but I think I learned a valuable lesson. Thanks for the humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,

      On this side of the week I, too have appreciated the ambiguity because I know it's made me a better instructional designer already. I look forward to additional chances to employ this process when I have to create the ambiguity for myself in order to be most successful when working to solve a problem.

      Cheers!

      Michelle

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your great contributions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your great contributions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle,

    Thank you all the contribution s t the team. I really feel conformable to work with you and very appreciated all the initial and final works (summary) for this week' Task.

    We have big big challenge work for the Session 5, and I wish you will still lead the group and complete a best OUTCOME !

    Tks/from Mikko

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle,
    I have the same feeling as you. The team work is compound and huge. It is challenging to put forth your best work when all members aren't giving your task their all. You cannot run very fast and you need to wait other partner.
    Best Regards,
    Tsai Hsieh Heng

    ReplyDelete